Meatballs add smoky flavor and filling protein to this comforting stew. Best of all, they cook up much faster than traditional stew meats.
Hands-on Time: 30 min. | Total Time: 1 hr. 30 min. | Serves: 6 | Difficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ lb. ground lamb
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Kroger® Pure Canola Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 cups beef or chicken stock
- 1½ lbs. red potatoes, diced
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients for the meatballs, being careful not to over mix. Divide mixture into about 1" meatballs.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown meatballs in batches until brown on the outside. Meatballs do not need to be cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Reduce heat and add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes until slightly softened and fragrant. Sprinkle in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add broth, working up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add potatoes and return meatballs to the pan. Bring to a low boil and cook 15-18 minutes until potatoes are tender and meatballs are cooked through. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 510, Calories from Fat 250, Total Fat 28g (43% DV), Saturated Fat 10g (50% DV), Trans Fat 1g, Cholesterol 110mg (37% DV), Sodium 1440mg (60% DV), Carbohydrates 36g (12% DV), Dietary Fiber 5g (20% DV), Sugars 6g, Protein 29g, Vitamin A 170%, Vitamin C 30%, Calcium 10%, Iron 25%.