A fresh-baked take on a holiday classic.
Hands-On Time: 45 min.
Total time: 1 hr.
Difficulty level: Moderate
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour (reserve ¼ cup for dredging candied fruit)
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1¾ cups packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs*
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 oz. Kroger Candied Red or Green Cherries
- 8 oz. Kroger Candied Pineapple
- Preheat oven to 350◦F. Grease (or line with parchment paper) a 15”x10” jelly-roll pan.
- In a small bowl, combine 2¼ cups flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, beat together brown sugar and butter until creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract, then gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Dice candied fruit. Dredge candied fruit pieces in reserved ¼ cup flour.
- Stir candied fruit and chocolate chips into batter mixture. Evenly spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake 20-30 min. (until golden brown). Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares.
Individual servings can be made by baking in paper-lined cupcake pans. Bake for 12-15 min. (until lightly golden). Cool in pan on wire rack.
*Do not consume raw or undercooked batter.