Up the ante on the appetizer course by serving these slow-cooked cranberry sauce meatballs on cocktail picks along with nutty Parmesan and fragrant fresh basil. Skip the canned cranberry sauce and make your own by simmering sugar, water and cranberries. Add a small amount of hoisin sauce and voila – deliciousness!
Hands-on Time: 30 min.
Total Time: 4 hrs. 30 min.
Serves: 10 | Difficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. Kroger ground beef
- 12 saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. onion, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 20-22 thin slices Parmesan cheese
- 20-22 fresh basil leaves
- Spray a 4-6 quart slow cooker insert with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine beef, crackers, egg, onion, salt and pepper; mix gently to combine. Roll into 1½” balls. Transfer to prepared slow cooker.
- In a small saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until cranberries start to soften and break down. Stir in hoisin sauce. Pour over meatballs in slow cooker; cover. Cook 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low until meatballs are cooked through.
- Transfer meatballs to serving platter. Top each with 1 slice cheese and 1 basil leaf. Insert a cocktail pick in each.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 210, Calories from Fat 110, Total Fat 12g (18% DV), Saturated Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 55mg (18% DV), Sodium 400mg (17% DV), Carbohydrates 14g (5% DV), Dietary Fiber < 1g (3% DV), Sugars 7g, Protein 12g, Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 10%, Iron 8%.