Lentils and coconut combine perfectly for a soup that’s brimming with flavor.
- 2 cups lentils
- 4 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) chopped tomatoes
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup water
- 2 cans coconut milk, light
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 Tbsp. lemongrass, finely grated
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Rinse the lentils and discard any that are discolored along with any stones.
- In a stockpot, combine the lentils, vegetable broth, olive oil, tomatoes, carrot, onion, celery, garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, sugar, salt and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring frequently, for 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are just tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk, ginger and lemongrass; cook until heated through.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with a wedge of lime.