When apples are in season this is a great way to celebrate them and let them be the star. Serve warm with a dollop of Vegan ‘Ice Cream’ or a drizzle of coconut cream.
Hands-on Time: 5 min. | Total Time: 30 min. | Serves: 6 | Difficulty: Easy
- 6 baking apples, such as Granny Smith, Gala or Fuji
- ¼ cup dried tart cherries, chopped fine
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup, plus 1 tsp.
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
- ¼ cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Using a melon baller, scoop out the center of the apples, to remove the core. Once the core and seeds are out, scoop out a bit more apple flesh to hollow out apple and reserve apple in a bowl. Add dried cherries to the apple pieces.
- Mix the melted butter, 3 tablespoons maple syrup and spices and brush the inside of the apple cavity with the mixture. Mix the remaining spiced butter with the apples and cherries and add the bread crumbs. Stir to coat evenly.
- Fill the apples with the apple-cherry stuffing and sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Drizzle with remaining 1 teaspoon maple syrup. Bake apples for 25-30 minutes until softened. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers.
Wine Pairing: Moscato
Per serving: Calories 230, Calories from Fat 70, Total Fat 8g (12% DV), Saturated Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 15mg (5% DV), Sodium 5mg (0% DV), Carbohydrates 42g (14% DV), Dietary Fiber 6g (24% DV), Sugars 32g, Protein 1g, Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 4%, Iron 4%.